Friday, April 17, 2015

For My Alpha Phi Sister......

I had a plan for my April article and was almost ready to post it to my blog.  Then I saw a Facebook post by a sorority sister that caused me to scrap my April article and start over. I am sharing this with permission:




1:55. I am proudly posting one of my slowest half marathon times ever! I was diagnosed with breast cancer late January and had a bilateral mastectomy In February. It has been a long two months however this time has allowed me to slow down and reflect on the people I am so grateful to have in my life. I am amazed by the love and support I have received during this time. My husband has been a rock and my kids have been simply amazing. My parents have been by my side, as they have throughout my entire life. And I am just so grateful for all of my family and friends that have been part of my recovery – my extended family, my high school friends, my college friends, my running friends, my work team/friends, my current circle of friends from my fun-filled life, all of my amazing doctors and nurses, and the new friends I have met or re-connected with though the sisterhood of breast cancer. I pushed myself to do this half marathon to show my strength from all of the strength I have received from each of you over the past two months. . God has truly blessed me. Please continue to pray as I head in for surgery number 2 tomorrow.


This post moved me. Her words "I am proudly posting......", stayed on my mind and in my heart the rest of the day.

I spend my days teaching nutrition, eating behavior, and disease management, but also spend much of my time helping people cope with a diagnosis. This involves coaching the person to recognize and accept what he or she is not in control of.  The process is an important part of goal setting. 

Of course, being diagnosed with a chronic disease is not something that can be willed away, but making the choice to be in control of other aspects can be willed.  "Focus on controlling the controllable", is a phrase clients will regularly hear me say.  It means to focus on controlling behavior, and hopefully the other outcomes (weight loss, improved health) will follow suit.  Many people struggle with this, because not focusing on the disease is an understandably difficult thing to do.  

So here's why I'm inspired: The words in that Facebook post aren't about cancer and what cancer has taken or may take.  The words are evidence of what cancer didn't take.   I can only imagine the struggle, but somewhere in this amazing woman's fight, she must have recognized that she has the power to limit how disruptive this diagnosis will be.  Somehow a CHOICE was made that cancer, surgery, recovery would not take an activity, nor a community she enjoys away from her.  I'll say it again: I am INSPIRED.  I've read her post multiple times because the energy behind the post is incredibly positive.  There's a unique acceptance of self in this post that is so unfortunately rare, especially among women, and I'm desperately hoping that it's contagious!

So to Sherri: My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  You have family, friends, and sisters who are inspired by your attitude.  But mostly, you have your spirit, and the will to not lose your true self in this struggle.  aoe




No comments:

Post a Comment